Lately, I have been reading Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts. As Kieran enters the last month of his first year, I decided to list some of the gifts we have celebrated since that wonderful March day as a sort of countdown to his very first birthday:
49. Looking to Jesus as the ultimate example of manhood. I read a post from Ann's blog today that really impacted me. "Unless a man looks to Jesus, a man doesn't know how to treat a woman. ...The culture of boys will be boys — means girls will be garbage and you were made for more than this, Son. Your Dad and I believe boys will be godly and boys will be honoring and boys will be humble."
What a huge responsibility we have to raise our son to understand true manhood for what it is. As she says in this post, "[Your father has] made his life about showing you what real leadership is: not climbing higher towards power and status, but bending down in prayer and service. He’s been dead to all ladders and that’s what made him so alive — reaching down, to the lonely, the lost, and the least."
I cannot just assume that this little man will one day grow into a big man of integrity--one who continually puts others before himself and gives cheerfully and stands for truth and protects the wounded and lifts up the fallen and loves those the world considers unlovely and stands in awe of the One who showed us that manhood and servanthood should be synonymous. And so, I pray that he will understand this:
My child, never forget the things I have taught you.
Store my commands in your heart.
If you do this, you will live many years,
and your life will be satisfying.
Never let loyalty and kindness leave you!
Tie them around your neck as a reminder.
Write them deep within your heart.
Then you will find favor with both God and people,
and you will earn a good reputation.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do,
and he will show you which path to take.
Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom.
Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil.
Then you will have healing for your body
and strength for your bones.
No comments:
Post a Comment