8.01.2014

You Don't Have to Go Fast … You Just Have to Go

You dont have to go fast, you just have to go.
Source

I DID IT!!!

I am now a Couch-to-5K graduate!

Couch To 5K Plan
Couch-to-5K Plan
Getting back in shape after baby number two has proven a lot more difficult for me. … Perhaps it has something to do with spending the greater part of three years being pregnant. Still, I seemed to bounce back last time with quick results once I started working out, so I have been somewhat disappointed. At the beginning of June, I decided to start running, even though I haven't run consistently since before I got pregnant with Kieran. And (let's be honest here) the longest I have ever stuck to a consistent running schedule is a couple of months. Oh, and did I mention that I had never run more than a mile and I detested the very thought of that?

I started with one-mile runs; my goal was to work on decreasing my mile times. My first run was June 6th, and a couple of days later, I posted this on facebook:
The other night, I ran for probably the first time in thee years (I've exercised, just no running). My time to run just one mile was awful. Tonight, I ran for the second time, and my mile decreased by 45 seconds. ...Maybe there's hope for me yet. 
My first mile was an impressive 12 minutes, people! At one point, I think I got down to 10:30, but a few weeks in a friend told me about the Couch-to-5K (C25K) plan; I looked into it and jumped in at week four. I was kind of glad I got to skip all of the really boring-looking intervals. Since I don't have a smartphone, I had to map out my runs ahead of time and keep track of my intervals myself. And since I am incredibly, incredibly slow (shout out to all my friends who have never reached five feet), I decided to train based on distance, rather than time.

This was too funny not to share! Running. Motivation.
Source

Its not about the speed with which you run, but actually getting up and doing it! Love this. #runners
Source

Some runs have been wonderful, but many have been hard. I am super stubborn, so that works in my favor, but I want to be so much faster than I actually am. And the more I run, the better I feel in some aspects, but old injuries and aches and pains seem to enjoy paying me a not-so-friendly visit. However, I do love the challenge and the feeling I get when I meet one of my goals.
Never in my life have I ran two miles. I did it for the first time today and was hoping I would come in at or under 20 minutes. I finished in 25:08--but by that time, I was just glad I finished at all!
And, of course, the final goal:
COUCH-TO-5K COMPLETE!!! Three miles in 36:22. #C25K #fitforlife #insertinspirationalfitnessmantrahere
I'm so glad I started this journey and proved to myself that I could do something I never thought I could or would do. I am not sure that I will ever classify myself as a runner (I know, I know, "You run. You're a runner."), and while I have lofty ideas of someday doing a 5K to 10K training, I am not sure my poor joints are built for long distances. Whatever challenge I take on next, I know that when I get discouraged I can look back on this one and say, "Remember what you did there?"

My triathlon Saturday!  This says it all!  I didn't have a pretty performance, but I crossed that finish line! :)  motivational monday: Quote Art {dead last} @mamamissblog #quote #running
Source

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com