6.08.2011

Who is God to You?

"Is He your Most High God, All-sufficient One, Master, Lord of Peace, the Lord Who Will Provide? Is He your Father? We must be careful not to make God into an 'it' or a 'thing' to which we pray. He is our Jehovah Raah, the Lord our Shepherd. God knows us by our name, shouldn't we know Him by His" (Source)?

The sad truth is that many people want a God that fits their lives, not a life that's fit for God. So often I hear people say, "Well, my God would never do that" or "My God is too loving for that." The funny thing is, do they know how irreverent that is?

My God cannot be contained by me. That's why He's not really "mine" in an ownership sense, just "mine" in a relationship sense--like my husband or my best friend. I know I cannot change my husband into someone that he is not. How many sappy movies have had their conflict based on that venture? So, why do people think they can mold God into Someone that suits their needs? He is who He is...yesterday, today, and forever. One of His best attributes, in my mind, is that He is unchanging. I was reading a book recently where the author quoted someone who said that the Word of God is malleable--flowing like a current with our culture and the needs of society. If that were the case, how could we have any belief or trust? Where would our assurance be if the God we follow today might not be the same One tomorrow?

That's why today we are going to look at one of the most basic--yet powerful--names of God:  Yahweh.

Yahweh (technically, YHWH), or Jehovah,  occurs over 6,000 times in the Old Testament. It is often translated as "Lord" or "God". And, while I don't want to get too scholarly here, it's pretty complicated in it's meaning. Most often, it is related to Exodus 3, where Moses asks, "If I come to the people of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is his name?' what shall I say to them?" God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And he said, "Say this to the people of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" Yahweh is thought to carry the meaning of "he who causes to exist" or "who gives life"; it could also mean "he who is, who exists".

God is self-existent. Unlike the rest of us, He relies on no one else for His being. In fact, He is indeed our source of life. And He's complicated. I like that about Him. :) No, he is not complicated in the facebook status sort of way. He is multi-faceted like a beautiful diamond--look at Him through a different circumstance and you might see something you've never seen before.

Source

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com