11.21.2010

Seek to Show Hospitality

I wish that I had been taught hospitality.

There are many women in my life that model hospitality--that ability to make people feel at home whenever they are around you. Two of them are the wives of my college pastors. Another one is my amazing mother-in-law. She loves having people over, decorating her home, making tasty foods and delicious desserts, gifting, and just  plain being a servant. My husband has inherited this servant's heart, and it is one of the things that made me fall in love with him. He may not be the most outspoken person, but his actions speak louder than any conversation I have ever had.

But hospitality can be learned. The first hurdle, I think, is to be prepared. If your place is always a disaster, then you will feel more hesitant to say, "Sure, come on over!" Resign yourself to the fact that your home does not have to be sparkling clean. If there are a few dishes in the sink or the blinds sorely need to be dusted (two things that I could say about my place), know that your friends are your friends for a reason:  they want to spend time with you--not your things! And family loves you no matter what happens. If you can relax, others will relax and have a good time regardless of your state of cleanliness. Still, trying to keep things in order will probably mean that more impromptu movie nights or Sunday lunches will occur.

The second hurdle is to let go of perfection. This is harder for some than for others. I know that sometimes I want to be "Le Gourmet Chef" and wow everyone with my stunning culinary and amazing hostess skills. And while sometimes "it's all in the details", when you are showing love to others it should be about them and not about you. Do what you can with what you have in the time you have. Work hard, yes, but let your guests know that they are not a burden to you, and you enjoy having them over.

...And doesn't all this talk about hospitality and guests make you think of this guy?

5 comments:

Mollie Deem said...

wow... what a timely and convicting blog post. i'm terrible at hospitality, especially when work is taking it's toll and lance always wants to have people over, but that also seems to come with a "the house must be spotless" clause.... i am always in awe of those that have the talent to make people feel welcome with seeming ease. :)

Sabrina Amanda said...

I know, right? I've been thinking a lot about always talking about having people over but never actually doing it. Why do I make it harder than it has to be?

Janelle said...

I love the idea of being able to spontaneously invite people over. I should work on keeping things decently picked up so that I'll be ready we when meet people we could actually invite over :-)

Unknown said...

Charming article! Yes, hospitality is about making guests and strangers feel welcome with the best that you already have. It truly shows and it can be "taken" back with your guests to share with others--like ripples in a pond. Thanks for writing this! Happy Thanksgiving!!

Erin said...

Very well said. Hospitality is dying and that is simply a shame and even more so a sin! You are ALWAYS welcome to my home and I hope to one day finally make it to yours. I love you, my friend.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com