Apparently, I am a blogger now. Or, rather, at this moment in time I am a blogger because, as we all know, the internet is a fickle thing, and who can say what I will be doing even two months from now, anyway? Having a new way to describe myself, I decided to figure out just what that means.
Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary
Main Entry: blog
Pronunciation: \blôg, 'bläg\
Function: noun
Etymology: short for Weblog
Date: 1999
: a Web site that contains an online personal journal with reflections, comments, and often hyperlinks provided by the writer; also: the contents of such a site
--blog*ger noun
--blog*ging noun
It is exactly how it sounds.
Doing pretty much whatever you want and in whatever style you want while interacting with others over the "interweb". This led me to ponder, "Why does one blog?" and "To blog, or not to blog?" Which then led me to recall a scene from The Princess Bride:
Miracle Max: Go through his clothes and look for loose change.
[Max puts the bellows to Westley's mouth, and blows air in.]
Hey! Hello in there! Hey! What's so important? What you got here that's worth living for?
Westley: T-R-U-E L-O-V-E.
Inigo: "True Love", you heard him? You could not ask for a more noble cause than that.
Miracle Max: Yeah, True Love is the greatest thing in the world, except for a nice MLT---mutton, lettuce and tomato sandwich, when the mutton is nice and lean, and the tomato is ripe. < makes puckering sound > They're so perky. I love that. But that's not what he said--he distinctly said "To blave" and as we all know, to blave means to bluff, heh? So you were probably playing cards, and he cheated--
[A withered lady storms into the room]
Valerie: Liar! Liar! Liar!
Miracle Max: Get back, witch!
Valerie: I'm not a witch, I'm your wife, but after what you just said, I'm not even sure I want to be that anymore.
Miracle Max: You never had it so good.
Rabbit trail. Still, what noble cause is there behind creating a blog? It all seems very egocentric. Read my blog! Hear what I have to say! Find me funny and entertaining and make many comments concerning my inherent awesomeness! Yet, I have found many weblogs that have moved me to tears or made me rethink certain aspects of my life for two reasons: 1. The writer was humble and honest. 2. God was clearly working in said writer's life.
A blog can still be pretty and creative and entertaining without mentioning God. And those are wonderful, too! How else would we learn to make Pots de Creme or decide who is better--Brontë or Austen (a difficult decision after seeing how completely epic the Brontë sisters are)? I think that I am leaning toward a mixture of both. I like being lighthearted and fun. But I think that sometimes God places certain circumstances in my life that are simply "wow" moments for me, and I feel as though I would just burst if I did not share them with someone. And when others have shared their "wow" moments with me, I know that it has oftentimes encouraged and deepened my own faith.
Basically, I am just going to be me. I will try my very hardest not to post certain things just to please someone; similarly, I will try not to withhold other things that might cast me in a harsh light. As Paul said, "But by the grace of God I am what I am."
P.S. I have absolutely no idea how to create an umlaut over the "e" in Bronte. I just learned how to create an umlaut over the "e" in Brontë. Cool!
No comments:
Post a Comment