6.07.2012

{The Key to Life}

Time flies when you have a newborn (I was informed that I am allowed to call him a newborn until he hits the three-month mark)! Sadly, I return to work on Monday, so I have been soaking in plenty of Kieran time.

Seriously, this boy is growing like a weed!


Kieran got to see his doctor again for his two-month check-up! At two weeks, he was the same as at birth: 8 pounds, 2 ounces, and 21 inches long. Seven weeks later, he weighed in at 13 pounds, 3 ounces, and 23 3/4 inches long--that's a gain of 5 pounds, 1 ounce and 2 3/4 inches!!

It seems I need to play a little catch up:


Kieran at one month :)




My loverly friend, Bekah, took some photos for me!

Seven weeks


Eight weeks

Two months




Nine weeks

I made this onesie for him!

He is becoming quite the active little fellow! A couple of weeks ago, I went back and reread some portions of Babywise. Since he was becoming more awake and losing that newborn sleepiness, I realized that he would sleep from one feeding the next, then sometimes be awake for the whole time between feedings. This extended awake time would make him overtired and cranky; then he wouldn't eat well, and that could easily be a day-ruiner. Since he's generally a happy kiddo, I knew it was the tiredness doing it to him. Following the book's advice, I started keeping him awake after his feeding time and putting him down for a nap about an hour after he started feeding. This allows him to have a 90-minute to two-hour nap. 

After a couple of days, he started going down like a champ! Of course, he will fuss sometimes. And there is that pesky 45-minute intruder they talk about, where he will wake up in the middle of his nap for no reason at all. But we learned together, and he does so well when we are at home. Unfortunately, his alertness means that it is more difficult for him to fall asleep at the grocery store like he used to. Now he wants to look at everything, so planning trips with him during his nap time has gotten more tricky. Sometimes he will let me place a blanket over his head, but that is not something I can count on. :)

Kieran is fairly vocal now, and it is so much fun to coo at him and make funny sounds just to see him react. He has recently graduated to size two diapers and often downs five ounces of breast milk at his 7:30 p.m. feeding. For a few weeks now, he has been sleeping through the night a few days out of the week. Taking him up to the next size diaper at night really helped with that. The key has really been getting him to eat a good amount at 10:30 so he can hang on till morning. Last night, I think he had his first true dream feed, where he slept through the whole feeding--diaper change and all--only opening his eyes once or twice!

This is a long post, but I just want to add one more thing. I have been reading through Proverbs for the first time as a parent, and it has given me such a different perspective! I have always read it as a child who needs to listen to the wisdom of my parents and mentors. Now, I can see the perspective of the parent who longs to help their child navigate through the world--warning them of the dangers and temptations they will face and urging them to seek wisdom and to treasure God and His Word. When I think of how desperately I long for my son to accept Christ and to choose Him every time the opportunity arises, I am blown away by how I know my Heavenly Father must long for me to consistently choose what He wants for me. What would be the exponent on that? How can I ignore such perfect fatherly devotion? How can I forget the closeness that He offers to me?

"Take hold of my instructions; don’t let them go. Guard them, for they are the key to life." --Proverbs 4:13

No comments:

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com