7.14.2010

A Taste of Home

First of all, I have to tell you that there is not much to say on our little jaunt into Chi-town. We got in and we got out in three days without actually doing anything that I wanted to do except going to Taste of Chicago. I think that both Jordan and I were disappointed, but I don't want to put that on the good old Taste because it's not its fault that my family likes to breeze right through things without actually taking the time to really stop and experience anything; however, it was beautiful and frightfully hot while we were there, I got to catch up a little with my family, I ate some sweet potato fries, and I think we were a blessing to my grandma. So, it was a good time overall. Plus, we got to try out our brand-new (to us) Garmin GPS--holy buckets! How could I have forgotten to choose the toll-free route? Driving into Chicago on a Friday afternoon the first weekend of Taste of Chicago of all days!! I believe, had I been driving a manual, I would have gone somewhat insane. :)

I still have no pictures of our new place because we are still having issues hooking up our wireless--it shall be conquered! But we are 80% unpacked and I love it. For the first time since I left my parents' home I feel like I am at home. Not that home isn't where the heart is or anything. I just have always felt like a transient in an apartment. We love the space and our neighborhood, and even the drive wakes me up before it's time for work. ;)

That being said, I thought you all might be interested in what this moving experience has taught me (to clarify, I have moved before, but always as a single person with little to my name). Before this library computer kicks me off, I'll offer up my list of the top five things to have when moving:
  1. A Mr. Clean Magic Eraser
    It really is magic! You can clean all you want, but when you "erase" what you have cleaned, it puts your skills to shame. It's like there's a little bit of Harry Potter in every sponge.


  2. A U-Haul truck
    Or a Budget truck or whatever company you like. The point is, it's not as expensive as I thought, you can rent dollies and furniture pads for a fairly good price, and the convenience and peace of mind is priceless.


  3. Time
    No matter how much you budget for packing/cleaning/moving, always add on another 25% at least. Actually, the actual transportation of items from one place to another does not require much of your time. It's the sorting and the discarding and the mental anguish that really tax you.


  4. Friends/Family
    Hallelujah for people who are willing to lend a hand! Many hands really do make light work, as well as add to the fun.


  5. A humble and contrite spirit
    There comes a time when you really must "suck it up" and say that, yes, you will let your mother-in-law help you clean even though you have ignored housekeeping for the last three weeks and in three years have not even once moved the refrigerator, stove, or couch to clean behind them. Just remember:  moms have changed dirty diapers, bleached dirty socks, and placed caution tape on the door of your teenaged bedroom. They still have the heart and the gusto to don a hazmat suit and grab a toilet brush.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Sabrina, you're hilarious! :) I wish I could have read this before we moved! I totally agree with all your pointers :) especially the friends/family.

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com