I am thinking that perhaps I should tell you how this blog earned its name.
The first reason is obvious: it's a play on words because I am little. It is difficult to remember a time when this word did not describe me. It has shaped my childhood and how I relate to people--short people tend not to want to grow up. :) Four feet and ten (and a half) inches may not be short to some, but it is usually the first thing people notice about me and has often been a conversation starter. In middle school, I became somewhat agitated that boys would never even look at me because they probably thought I was in elementary school. :) But as I've grown up (in age, at least), I have learned to see this as a blessing and as something God has given me to make me exactly who He wants me to be. I could not imagine being any other way and, although it still has its disadvantages and challenges at times, I think I would now choose being "little" over any other option.
The second reason is simply as it sounds: I want to celebrate the little things in life. I don't want to get so caught up in to-do lists and bank statements, busyness and boredom that I forget that I have a Father in heaven that gives me the very breaths that I breathe. I also don't want to make life so complicated that I forget that the good news of Jesus Christ is so simple that even a three-year old can understand it. Sometimes I tend to make my life more difficult than God intended.
Someday, down the road, if God wants us to have children, I imagine that I will want to share with the people I love all of the details about my little ones. The hilarious stories of their antics and how much they are stretching me and growing me each day, as well as how simply adorable their little feet, little hands, little eyes...well, you get the picture--just how very cute they are.
For now, I think I just share a small list of all of the "little" things that I love:
- Waking up from a Sunday afternoon nap and knowing you have nothing that has to be done except going back to sleep that evening.
- A good book that is impossible to put down because you just have to know what's going to happen next.
- The crinkles in the corners of my husband's eyes when he smiles. :)
- The crazy family God has given me.
- Soaking up the sun while enjoying the quiet beauty of the outdoors.
- Finding a new "favorite song of all time".
- Coffee with a friend (or rather a little bit of coffee with some creamy, sugary goodness).
- Having brothers and sisters all over the place that I know I can count on.
- The things my husband does that make me laugh, and the fact that when he sees me laughing it makes him do them all the more.
- The best friends in the whole entire world. Period. End of story.
- Discovering anew my Savior's love for me.

No comments:
Post a Comment